Several months ago, Americans marked the national observance of the birth of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As I reflect, I think about what a brave soul Dr. King was to transform his fight for “Negro” equality with White America and one that was based on Civil Rights, to a fight that was global in scope and based on Human Rights.
Like others have, I often ask myself what would Dr. King think about today’s America and the world as a whole? Would he feel as though all of his efforts achieved their end goal? Would he support the various Occupy and other social movements taking place the world over? The answers I keep coming up with are NO and YES respectively.
Given the continued disparities across every major aspect of life in America for Black Americans, I could not imagine Dr. King would be pleased with our progress. Yes, we have a Black President and we certainly have achieved great success in many areas of the business, sports, entertainment, the arts and the social world. However, we do not live in a “Post-racial” society. As a collective group, the majority of Black Americans have not benefited from the accomplishments of a few.
Statistically, we are breaking records in all the wrong categories of life:
- We are #1 in Incarceration rates proportionate to the overall American population
- We are #1 in Healthcare disparities
- We are #1 in Education disparities
- We are #1 in HIV/AIDS contraction rates
- We are #1 in Quality of living disparities
- We are #1 in Divorce and Households lead by single mothers
- We are #1 in Sperm donors who happen to be males not being fathers
- We are #1 in just about any other negative thing you can think of as it relates to simply living
It is not my intention to bring anyone down or paint such a dismal picture of life for the majority of Black Americans, but this is not my subjective truth. This is the reality of too many of our people. The bottom line, Dr. King’s goals have not been achieved.
We do not live in a “Post-Racial” America and we need to WAKE UP!!! (cont … Black and Brown News)